Monday, April 8, 2013

Remember, forget, Remember. Repeat.

My day so far -- started (after getting kids to school/nursery) with early morning meeting at the winery on marketing strategy, spinning out potentially [yet another] start-up inspired by problems discovered in wine industry. Then got into my electric car, drove to Tel Aviv for UI (User Interface) meetings with my Zula team. Later I am due to participate in comensation committtee meeting of NoProblem Baord of Directors, then back home to Hanaton, later tonight community meeting...

Bottom line, a life full of life, of innovation, of newness, of planning for tomorrow. Not a lot of time for remembering or dwelling on the past.

But on Highway 6 this morning I stopped along with millions of other Israelis as we heard the siren calling the country to attention. For two minutes we stopped, and we remembered. Of course there are those who participated in longer ceremonies today, as we commerate Holocaust Rememberance Day. But many, if not most Israelis are busy. We have way too many holidays and commemeration days as it is, last week Passover, next week Israel Memorial Day and immediately after Independence Day. Few weeks later Shavuot.

So how in 2013 with all of our instant everything, do we deal with the commandment to remember?

I think by putting our brains on a cycle. We remember, for a moment, sometimes for more, and then we forget. Because as I stood there for two minutes (length of average YouTube posting), I said to myself that if I remembered all the time, I could not function. I would simply be overwhelmed, by both the horrors and wonders of the past.

We are a people of the book -- for thousands of years the main way of memorializing -- of making sure that we do not forget. What does a book look like in 2013? 2014? How will we remember?

I don't have any answers, but I do know that somehow we need to keep on with our cycle of Remember/Forget/Remember...repeat. Alway searching for the balance of memory and action, of tradition and modernity.

I conclude with the call that has echoed for decades: Never Again. Some things should not be repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment